USA Science & Engineering Festival:
A Sneak Peek Day for the media will be held on Friday, April 27, 2012 for the 2ndUSA Science & Engineering Festival and Book Fair, hosted by Lockheed Martin. Reporters are invited preview this free, family-friendly expo and book fair being held on April 28-29 that allows kids and adults to participate in more than 3,000 hands-on activities and see nearly 150 live performances by science celebrities, explorers, best-selling authors, entrepreneurs and world-renowned experts. Festival attendees will be able to walk on water, learn to cook bugs, interact with robotic fish, be entertained by a mathemagician, step aboard a spaceship, meet storm chasers, listen to alien hunters, and more. Press conference kicks off Sneak Peek Day with science and tech leaders discussing the Festival and its role in meeting critical workforce needs.
Media Sneak Peek Day: April 27, 9:45am, Press Conference/Ribbon Cutting, (exhibits close at 2pm), By Invitation
USA ScienceFestival: April 28-29 from 10am-6pm (Sunday ends at 4pm), Open to Public
- Larry Bock, Festival Director and Founder
- Dr. Ray O Johnson, Lockheed Martin Chief Technology Officer
- Brig. Gen. Burke E. "Ed" Wilson, Director, Air Component Coordination Element, Air Forces Cyber
- Carrie Houtman, Senior Manager, Global Remediation, The Dow Chemical Company
- 13,000 science students from underserved communities (by invitation)
- Several hundred military families (by invitation)
- Science-related celebrities, including Bill Nye, the Science Guy(speaking at press event), The Science Cheerleaders, Apollo Robbins, MythBusters'Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman (weekend only), and Big Bang Theory's Mayim Bialik (weekend only)
- 36 noted science authors, including Homer Hickam and Robin Cook (weekend only)
- Hundreds of leading scientists
Walter E. Washington Convention Center
801 Mount Vernon Place NW, Washington, DC
Press registration is at Hall B entrance on the Concourse Level. (Enter at Mount Vernon Place)
Founded by entrepreneur Larry Bock and Lockheed Martin CTO Ray O Johnson to address the severe shortage in science and tech talent, the USA Science & Engineering Festival is the country's only national science festival, and was developed to increase public awareness of the importance of science and to encourage youth to pursue careers in science and engineering by celebrating science in much the same way as we celebrate Hollywood celebrities, professional athletes and pop stars.
To cover Sneak Peek, contact Shawn Flaherty at 703-554-3609 or Sheri Singer at 703-346-7111.
USA Science & Engineering Festival
Shawn Flaherty, 703-554-3609
Sheri Singer, 703-346-7111