The BTS Sales Index decreased by 0.7 points (-0.7%) in the month of September to 108.5. The 1,000 companies surveyed for the BTS Sales Index reported a decrease in aggregate revenue of $22 billion, down from $3.395 trillion in August to $3.373 trillion. This is the first time the index has decreased since June. BTS has been tracking the index since October 2017.
The Sales Index's decrease can be attributed to several factors:
- The Federal Reserve raised interest rates, from 2 to 2.25 percent and the housing market is slowing down in large metro areas
- Factory sector growth stalled after 15 months of expansion
- Privately owned makers of cars, machinery, and other products stopped expanding
- Exports dropped to their lowest two years amid increasing tensions between the US and China
- Despite this, private-sector employment continues to grow; ADP reported 230,000 new jobs in September
- Services sectors experienced high growth and the USMCA trade deal is expected to improve economic outlook
What is the BTS Sales Index?
The BTS Sales Index is a simple and predictive monthly metric that gives enterprise leaders the right vantage point by which to view their critical business decisions.
It represents the aggregate total revenue of the 1,000 largest publicly traded companies in the U.S. in one easy-to-understand number. Every month, the total revenue reported by these companies is run through BTS' custom-built indexing tool. The index uses Q2 2013 numbers as a baseline based on the quarter's stable economic recovery indicators.
The BTS Sales Index is published in the first week of every month, reflecting the previous month's data, along with context such as industry-specific trends and job rates that impact revenue.
Find the BTS Sales Index here.
BTS is a global professional services firm headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden. We focus on the people side of strategy, working with leaders at all levels to help them make better decisions, convert those decisions to actions and deliver results. For 30 years, we've been designing fun, powerful experiences that have a profound and lasting impact on people and their careers. It's strategy made personal.
BTS is a public company trading on the Nasdaq Stockholm under the symbol BTS B.
Rommin Adl, +1 203-391-5223